26 Facts About Me
Hello everybody! Is it starting to feel like fall where you are? Fall is my favorite season. The air has a crispness to it, scarves are back, football is on, and the world changes color before our eyes.
I wanted to take a breather today and just share a little about me with you. I know that I write about a lot of my favorite products or experiences I’ve had, but I’m not terribly great at sharing things about myself. So I’m going to attempt to do that today with 26 facts about me!
1. Why 26 facts? I’m 26 years old. (At least I think I am… yes, yes I’m 26)
2. I’m married to who I believe is the perfect match for me. God knew what He was doing when He made Joseph. With the major exception of Jesus, I have never experienced the kind of love that Joseph shows me daily. I have a lot of friends who tell me all the time that they just want to be married… and I totally get it. But I also feel like that desire to be married can make people overlook how long forever actually is (and thus the desire to have that little box checked overshadows if that person is the right person). Every day Joseph reminds me what a wonderful choice I made when I said yes to spending my life with him.
3. My dog, Sookie, is where I got the name for my blog. She’s a rescue from the Atlanta Humane Society and the first dog I’ve ever had. She’s half border collie, half german shepherd, and the smartest clumsiest dog in the world. (And she’s named after Sookie St. James from Gilmore Girls)
4. I can’t watch scary movies. My imagination tends to run a bit wild, and if I watch anything too scary, I have to stay up for hours or I will have nightmares.
5. If I could live anywhere, hands down it would be in London.
6. I like to have “thinking spots.” Though to be honest, I’m usually observing more than thinking. When I’m inside, I like to push an oversized chair in front of a window and look out. If I’m outside I can be almost anywhere, but my favorite spot is near a lake.
7. My favorite concert was Ed Sheeran’s Multiply tour. He has so much beautiful, raw talent. It didn’t hurt that Rudimental opened for him, but Ed came out with only 2 guitars and a loop pedal for his entire show. And I have never been that blown away by a musician since.
8. I have a serious weakness for good BBQ. (Texas BBQ if we’re getting technical)
9. Ever since working as an assistant manager at Claire’s, it physically bothers me when I have chipped nail polish.
10. When I was in high school, I went through the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. (It’s AP on steroids if you aren’t familiar) If I’m being honest, I have never been challenged to expand my mind to that degree since.
11. I have a very strong sense of doing what’s right, especially when it comes to protecting others. When I was in 9th grade, I discovered a friend of mine was cutting herself. I “tattled” on her (her words) to a counselor, and lost her (and a few other people) as a friend for a few years. Not that I had anything to do with her recovery (that was 100% her, and I’m so so proud of her), but when she healed we were able to reconcile as friends before we graduated high school.
12. I once swam with sharks when I was on my period. Not kidding. It was my last day as a PR intern at Georgia Aquarium, and to celebrate I got to swim in Ocean Voyager with the whale sharks. (There’s other sharks, rays, fish, etc in there as well) I got my period that morning. The dive master told me that I would be fine since I would have a tampon in, a swimsuit on as well as a wet suit, and that the animals are so well fed that I wouldn’t be in danger… but that doesn’t mean my legs weren’t clenched.
That’s me! –>
13. I’m not a big fan of sugary desserts. I don’t mind candy or smores from time to time, but it doesn’t take much before I get a sugar overload… Joseph is the sweet tooth in our family.
14. I’m definitely not a morning person… I’m a night owl who likes to sleep as late as possible.
15. For the longest time, I felt like I was “performing” for what everyone else wanted. I grew up feeling like I was fat, ugly and completely undesirable. Everyone else felt it was so important to tell me what I needed to be. I’d be loved if I were smarter, so I went after the highest GPA and awards in middle and high school, but that wasn’t enough. I’d be loved if I were thinner, so I was pressured into diets that didn’t work and made me feel even worse about myself (even though there was nothing wrong with the way I looked). I eventually got to the point where I realized that everyone was projecting their own insecurities onto me and that if they didn’t love me as is, then it didn’t matter what I did because it would never be enough. I found Jesus shortly after I hit that ultimate low, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t still learning that it was never about working for love.
16. My music taste is a little all over the place, but if I can appreciate the heart and purpose behind someone’s music, I’m a fan. Some of my absolute favorites include: Queen, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Ed Sheeran, and Taylor Swift.
17. My biggest mistake ever was cutting my own bangs. Hated it on day 2. Someone smack me if I ever say I want to try it again.
18. I was bullied a lot as a kid. Moving to GA from CA was the worst move (I’ve lived in FL, TX, CA, GA, and now specifically Atlanta). Kids can be nasty and I became really withdrawn in middle and high school to blend in and try not to get criticized for being different. College and post-college was where I started feeling a lot more confident in my skin and with who I am as a person.
19. I’m an ENFP for those of you that means something to.
20. I’m an aspiring novelist. I have a bunch of ideas that swirl around in my head, and I think I’ve imagined an entirely new world that my hands are itching to get down on paper. It’s a process… but it’s a dream of mine. Every day I take another step in brainstorming and crafting characters, their stories, and the world they live in.
21. I’m the second of four children. Joseph is the third of four children… so at the moment I have 8 siblings. (Up to 12 if everyone gets married) I also have 2 nieces and 2 nephews on Joseph’s side. (This photo of me with bangs back in the 90s should have deterred me from trying again, but nope)
22. Basically half of what I say is movie/TV/book quotes. Most of the time they slide by without anyone noticing. But if you talk to me for more than 10 minutes, there’s a very good chance there’s some easter egg quotes somewhere in my dialogue.
23. I’m a Gryffindor at Hogwarts, a Pukwudgie at Ilvermorny, and I have a basset hound for my patronus according to Pottermore… I’m not mad about it.
24. If I had to get rid of one item in my makeup routine, it would probably be highlight. As a combination skin girl, my skin produces oil to where I don’t need to highlight super often. (I know that probably offended some people since the Youtube community is like bonkers for having an unnatural alien-like glow)
25. I’m an aesthetics person. I love art and decorating to make a room feel comfortable and cozy.
26. Southern style house-made ranch is always the answer. On fries, pepperoni pizza, fried pickles… you name it, I’d try it with ranch. (Just for clarification, Nature Valley’s ranch is not what I’m referring to. That stuff is nasty)
So there’s 26 facts that you may or may not have known about me. I’m seriously impressed if you read all of that. And if you did, that’s amazing, and we should be friends! 🙂