June Sephora Play! Box
Another month, another Sephora Play! Box. I really do like the Sephora subscription box. For $10, you get 6 deluxe samples, plus a card that gives you 50 beauty insider points if you go in-store that month. Which to me is a pretty great deal.Read more.
This month's theme for the Sephora Play! Box was “Your Summer Starters.” It featured the Sephora team's summer must-haves.The POREfessional Face Primer by Benefit: I actually bought the smaller version of this about a month ago and I've been really enjoying it. I have combination/oily skin, so I use this mainly in my T-zone. I would say that the Baby Skin Pore Eraser by Maybelline is a good drugstore dupe for this. (Not completely, but if blurring pores is your goal, that one does an amazing job) I love the matte finish this gives me, and I would say it does prolong the longevity of my makeup. I'm not obsessed, but I'm definitely impressed. Everlasting Liquid Lip in K-Dub by Kat Von D: In case I haven't mentioned it before, Kat Von D is QUEEN of liquid liner. The tattoo eyeliner is a ride or die product in my book. I've never tried the Everlasting collection before, but I was really impressed at how comfortable the wear of this product was. It's not thick or clumpy and it dries down completely matte in like 20 seconds. Granted, it's not an everyday color for me, but it made me put one of the Everlasting nude liquid lips on my wish list. Rich Kid Coconut Oil Gel by IGK: I really like this! I've used it after towel drying my hair after every shower since I got this product in my box. I purposefully don't use it in my roots because my hair can get oily pretty quickly. My hair is pretty thick and it gets knots relatively easily, so this product was a great dose of hydration and does a good job at keeping my hair soft and manageable as the day goes on. I definitely will be repurchasing! Hello FAB Smoothie Priming Moisturizer by First Aid Beauty: I'm not sure why, but I haven't been super impressed with First Aid Beauty... maybe I haven't found the right product for me. I haven't tried this on my face, but I did apply some of this in-store a while back and wasn't a fan of the texture. I personally would rather have my moisturizer and primer be separate products instead of a 2-for-1. So rather than waste a perfectly good product, Hayley do you want this? (For those of you who are new, Hayley works with me at my day job and sometimes if there's a product I'm not a fan of, she loves it... like that perfume from the last Sephora unboxing I had! That one was a perfect example of makeup being versatile and a completely different experience for each person) Black Opium by Yves Saint Laurent: Speaking of the perfume from the last unboxing post... this one almost gave me PTSD upon first whiff. But a lovely sigh of relief came when I smelled it again and realized it definitely was not like Replica by Maison Margiela. Fun story... I just linked the title for this perfume to the Sephora website, and I just said aloud, "DANG that's a pretty penny!" It has a gorgeous wear on it, and there's a slight note of coffee in it, so you know I was hooked. But still.... that's expensive... Rose Gold Hair & Body Oil by Ouai: I love oils. Despite what you may think, if you have oily hair or skin, using oil in your everyday routine is actually instrumental in balancing your natural oils. This one I'm not so sure of yet. I've used it once since unboxing, and I felt it didn't distribute the way that I wanted. What I do love is that the only ingredient in here that is "bad" is fragrance (and they say fragrance is bad because companies use that term loosely). But it doesn't have parabens, silicones, or alcohol. My hair did feel smooth and soft, but the ends looked "wet" even hours after application. I only used one pump, but I'm going to try to use even less next time to see if that helps. That’s it for this box! Let me know in the comments section below if you have any of these products and what your thoughts are. J. For more fun, follow me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and TWITTER!
May Sephora Play! Box
Came home last night to a surprise in my mailbox! Monthly subscription boxes have become kind of a thing, from BoxyCharm to Ipsy to BarkBox, it seems like there's a box for every hobby. Since I have a slight obsession with makeup, I decided to try out the Sephora Play! box.Read more.
This month's theme for the Sephora Play! Box was "The Rising Stars." It featured cult favorites, unique formulas, and one of a kind brands making waves in the industry.
- Magnetic Matte Lip Color in Greystone by Nudestix - Greystone? YAS. That swatch had me swooning. The color is a gorgeous cool toned brown, and I definitely plan to put its claim of 9 hour wear to the test. It's really creamy in texture. If it doesn't slide around and isn't drying on the lips I may have found a new favorite for my upcoming monthly favorites post. (Check out April's here) Update: if you want a matte grey-toned brown lipstick, get Colourpop's Pillow Talk. Personally I like it better.
- Ceramic Slip Clay Cleanser by Sunday Riley - The jury isn't out on this one yet since I've only used it once. I have quite a few skincare products I'm obsessed with, so since I wasn't blown away, this one may go to Joseph.
- Clear Lip Plumper by Grande Lips - Lip plumpers aren't usually my thing since they typically sting and are uncomfortable with little results. I was slightly uncomfortable at first, but as it stayed on the lips, I started really liking it. My lips felt hydrated and it definitely did the job. Me likey!
- Highlight + Perfect Multipurpose Stick in Maldives Luminescent by Trestique - I'm so stinkin excited for this product. The swatch is gorgeous, not sparkly at all (thank goodness) but it has a beautiful luminosity to it. As someone will combo/oily skin, I struggle to find anything luminous that compliments my skin and acts as an easy highlight that doesn't bring out texture on my cheeks. #GlowFromWithin
- Replica perfume by Maison Margiela - Not my favorite... to the point that it's not pictured above because I gave it to my friend Hayley when I saw her at work today. Keep in mind that she loved it. I'm not a beach person, so the fact this smells straight up like the ocean mixed with salt and lemon wasn't terribly appealing to me. If you're a beach girl, check it out. If you're a winter-mountain chick like me, maybe pass.
- Cleansing Purifying Scrub by Christophe Robin - Not gonna lie, $53 bucks is a STEEP price for anything. Probably the worst luck ever because I LOVE this product. My hair was squeaky clean after washing it with this, but it didn't strip it. Maybe if you used this only when your hair was in desperate need of a thorough clean and then a mask, it would last a lot longer...
Monthly Favorites – March
Monthly favorites are definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. It doesn't matter if it's a blog post, a video, or if I'm chatting with the girls around the water cooler. I love hearing about products that my friends and family are enjoying, and I love sharing the amazing ones that I find. Below is a list of products that I have been loving in the month of March that I've compiled to share with you!Read more.
My favorite products from the month of March:
- GlamGlow POUTMUD Wet Lip Balm Treatment - I purchased this upon recommendation from a random person I encountered in Sephora. I was pulling out my Blistex for the 3rd time, and she told me this product changed her life. And it's definitely a game-changer. A little goes a LONG way. It doesn't sting, but it heals chapped or even border-line bleeding lips. My lips feel hydrated for much longer than when I used Blistex or Chapstick. It also doesn't have a nasty smell that these types of products tend to have. Check it out here.
- Elizabeth and James Nirvana perfume in Bourbon - I'm a huge fan of the Nirvana collection. I purchased both Nirvana White and Black about a year ago, and I will layer them or wear them separately. I smelled the new rose scent prior to the Bourbon one because I thought I would prefer it... NOPE. The rose one is definitely not for me. But this one is hands-down my favorite. It has a woody, vanilla scent. It's deep and perfect for the evening. This brand is by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, and no lie, when I smell this I think of Winning London when they stroll into the gentleman's club clearly looking like girls. Check it out here.
- Bioderma Sebium H2O Purifying Cleansing Solution - I use this as a makeup remover/pre-cleanse. This product is one of France's best kept beauty secrets. I purchased mine on Amazon so I could get the one with the pump. The Sebium line is for oily/combo skin, and I'm obsessed. (Don't use this on your eyes though) It balances your skin so it feels soft and smooth, and it doesn't feel greasy at all. I will actually remove my makeup when I get home from work and then wait to wash my face until going to bed. Bioderma is a definitely brand that I will be trying out more of their products. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they showed up in another monthly favorites post. Check it out here.
- Briogeo Rosarco Milk Reparative Leave-In Conditioning Spray - I wrote an entire blog post about this miracle in a bottle. (Click here to read the post) It's amazing, I'm in love. I bought it for my mother-in-law to use and now she's in love too. Check it out here.
- Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette - First of all, the palette smells like cocoa powder. But what I love most is how easy to blend the shadows are. They don't have much kick-up at all during application, and the color pay-off is top notch. I also love the fact that all of the colors are useable. Normally in palettes I have a couple shadows that I don't touch, but that isn't the case with this one. The longevity is also amazing and they're a creamy texture, but not to the point that you have to keep changing brushes to get them to work with you. I've found that I've reached for this more than my Kat Von D Shade + Light palette (which is also amazing). Check it out here.
- Rimmel Brow This Way Brow Sculpting Kit - Don't get me wrong, my Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz is wonderful. But this is SO much friendlier on your wallet, and lately I've been obsessed with the look it gives me. It's less than 5 bucks, and I actually like the brush that's included. (I usually don't use them.) The look is so natural and perfect for the fuller brow look that's in style right now. Check it out here.
- KL Polish Das Esspensive - Ok, this one was limited edition... so unfortunately you can't get this particular one. But I was so impressed with this nail polish, so I had to include it in my monthly favorites. It was created by Kathleen Lights for her birthday, and it's a gorgeous champagne color with a foiled look to it. It has some flecks of sparkle in it, but not over kill, which is perfect for me. What I loved about this is how long it lasted. I got a solid 2 weeks without chipping. I just recently ordered two others, so I'm not sure if that's true for all of her polishes, but that was beyond impressive to me. Check out her other shades here.
- Colourpop Matte Liquid Lip in Point Zero - Speaking of Kathleen Lights, this liquid lip is from her collab with Colourpop. An important thing to know about this brand... the color in the tube is not the color that will be on the lips. It makes it a bit difficult for online shopping, but they have so many amazing products you will fall in love with. Point Zero is a brownish grey, definitely darker than the photo on the website. But it's gorgeous. I get at least 10 comments each day I wear this. It compliments any skin tone, and any hair color. Obsessed. Check it out here.
- Leaders AC Clear Treatment Mask - I reviewed this product in my Korean skincare blog post, (read it here) but it still deserves a shout-out on my monthly favorites. This mask is amazing. My skin is clearer, hydrated, and much more even since using these. Check it out here.
Other monthly favorites:Song - Work This Body by Walk the Moon, but How Does a Moment Last Forever by Celine Dion has been on repeat lately Album - Divide by Ed Sheeran Film - Beauty and the Beast Internet Plug-In - Honey (check out my Resources page for more info) So that's it for this monthly favorites post! I know I had pretty much all beauty products this month, but trust me that won't always be the case. Let me know in the comments section below what products you've been loving and I will be sure to give them a try! J.
My Ride-Or-Die Leave-In Conditioner
Apparently winter is set on rearing its ugly head in March, rather than showing up to the party back in November. I have medium length, but thick hair. It's a strange mixture of waves and curls, so I typically only brush my hair before I shower so I'm not sporting a hot mess all day. This creates a bit of a dilemma in the winter since my scarves and coats end up giving me some nasty tangles in the back of my hair. Which really just means that half of my hair ends up on my brush or stuck in the drain. Leave-in conditioner is a must in my hair care routine.Read more.